I read an article today about the tragic death of a UVA student at the hands of her boyfriend. I am sure you all are familiar with this case. If not- google it on the interwebs and crawl out from under your rock. This article begs the question, "where are the adults?" This really got me thinking. Since when does being in college make you NOT an adult. I think the answer lies in the privileged culture that college has created. "We're in college, we don't HAVE to act like adults....yet." I was oh so guilty of this attitude during the 5 years it took me to get my bachelors degree. Every time I made a dumb decision one of my justifications for it was, "It's college. Everyone messes up."
*The idea even provides entertainment for me now bc I follow @collegelife @collegetownproblem @sororitygirllrproblem.....I could go on....on twitter.**
Think about your parents and especially your grandparents. When most of them were 19-21 years old they were working. Getting up everyday and going to work. Acting like an adult. (because that's what adults do right? Work?) My grandmother for example achieved a bachelors and masters degree both while raising children. She never, ever got to use the excuse-- it's college.
When did the idea of becoming an adult start sucking so much?? What does it mean to "be an adult" anyway?
There is a really popular quote that I'm sure you have seen on a college students facebook page. It's a Tom Petty quote that goes something like- you've got four years to be irresponsible here, so go out on a tuesday, drink until sunrise... I can't remember the rest. Anyway, my point with this is, Tom Petty's advice (if he really did say this) definitely has some merit. Undergrad is something you only experience once and you should definitely take the time to cherish it but, where do we draw the line?
In the case of these kids from UVA, someone needed to step in. Someone needed to tell them yeah, you are making grades, playing good lacrosse, etc. but you are in a bad way regarding several other aspects of your life. It needed to be their friends. I was lucky enough to have friends who looked out for each other. There were some touch and go times (one of them liked to wander off...cough!cough!) but we took care of each other. It was hard to do but when we saw each other making bad choices, we stepped in because we loved each other. Sure we were drinking buddies but our relationships reached far beyond a pregame or a night out.
I have fond memories (ish) of all the nights I made my way to Froggy's on a weeknight and had a good ole' time. (sorry mom) I don't regret that. With that said I'm not really sure where I'm going with this blog, these are just my thoughts.
I went to all the Greek Symposiums and listened to people attempt to tell college "kids" how to drink and party responsibly, how to avoid abuse in relationships, how to have safe sex, etc. All in all, I thought those sessions were bull shit. (excuse my French) However, Where was that kind education for the rest of the college campus? Those alcohol,sex,drugs, etc workshops were mandatory for us. Punishable for a fine ranging from (my estimates) $75-$150 dollars. Maybe a mandatory event discussing the same issue would be beneficial to college freshman. I'm sure lots of schools do it. Mine didn't but I love them anyway. #wku
What is REALLY going to teach college adults (I'm done calling them college kids) to party, have sex, spend money, etc in a responsible way? I have no freaking idea but I think it's obvious that higher educators need to start looking for a way.
But I can say this- there is fun after college. Real fun. Happy hour is going to be the best thing that happens to you after a long day! Youre going to meet other ADULTS, maybe even older than you who like to get shwastey. Here's the difference --HOPEFULLY-- between the post grad adults you meet who like to party and the guy/girl you see out every weekend in your college town.... These people have JOBS! They have degrees! They have hobbies other than drinking! They have savings accounts!
What I'm trying to say is don't go so "balls to the wall" (yeah, I said it) in college JUST because you think post grad sucks. It doesn't! It's fun! I'm even ENGAGED TO BE MARRIED (my Froggy's on a weeknight self would have NEVER expected this) and Nick and I are still having tons of fun. I can't explain it but the fun is just different now that I'm out of college. I LOVED college fun but LOVE adult fun just the same.
I've determined the fun doesn't stop after graduation. It stops when you have kids:) or does it??
I think we blog the same way. We get a rant in our brains that is too long for a tweet and then realize mid-blog that we don't really have a point we just want to get it all out there! Haha. But you do have a point. And it's a very good one. You are totally right. And you know the most since you are the adult-est of all of us now. Who would have ever thunk it?
ReplyDelete