Since my freshman year of college, I can think of about 5 people who have consistently been on my social media radar. These are the people whose Facebook posts I will always look for and the pictures that I am always interested to see. You're probably thinking these people are ex-boyfriends (or pretend boyfriends in my case,) arch enemies, or even best friends. Absolutely not. Now I do may fair share of stalking these people, HOWEVER the people I am most interested in for "creeping" purposes are these characters.
You know who they are. In fact, I'm sure you have a few of your own. I'm talking the girl who lived in your dorm freshman year who has maxed out her allotted visits to the tanning bed for a lifetime, got a boob job, and oops! now she's having a baby. It's been over 5 years since you first saw her at a frat party lathering on love spell spell spray in the bathroom and you were all like, "Hey girl, I think you live in my dorm." Many years later and you still cringe when you see one of those little bottles of purple liquid. Also, the fascination with this person hasn't ceased. She's moved on and is using the skills of her communications degree to work at a job that doesn't compromise her first loves of tanning and boozing. You're hopped up on mimosas on a Saturday morning and just before that early afternoon power nap, you feel the need to check the twitters or the facebook to see what Love Spell girl is doing this weekend.
What about that girl you kind of knew in high school who has made your Facebook defriending rampage a few times because her baby is so damn cute?? She's on the radar too! Do you really care if little Tommy is taking a nap on the couch with daddy? No, but that instagrammed pic of them is pretty cute and you need some distraction from your annoying co-workers.
Clearly, I'm speaking based on personal experience. Social media is WONDERFUL. It is allowing our society to communicate in ways that we never have before but, there are a lot of social media haters out there. They say, "Why should I care about Facebook? I don't need to know every move people make." Of course you don't but doesn't the post-grad working world feel like ground hog day sometimes? To me it does and people like Love Spell and Baby's Momma make my days a little more entertaining. So all you Facebook haters, keep on hating BUT the next time you're bored at a random time of the day, try creeping on someone who went to your high school who has always been a little odd. Chances are they've got a cute baby, "cray drama in their lyfe holla!" or they might even be traveling the world! Now, tell me how much more entertaining that is than playing words with friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment