Saturday, September 8, 2012
People are nice.....right?
Thoughts on humans who are not nice in social situations
By Melissa Ann Rickman Simmons, self proclaimed queen bee of nice
**the following is thoroughly researched, grammatically correct, and very intelligent
NOT
Read on......
I don't know if it's because I grew up in the south or if I am just very naive but, I always carry the assumption that most people are nice. When I have an encounter with someone who is not friendly towards me, it is shocking. Shocking. I'm a people person, a people lover even. So it's not only shocking but also a little heartbreaking actually when humans are not friendly.
Bare with me on these next thoughts.
I'm 24 years old and I still might shed a tear (in private) if I see another girl blatantly talking about me, if someone is rude to me, or just plain makes me feel about 2 inches tall. These tears are usually paired with the words, "I just can't understand why (insert human name) was so mean to me." Some might say I need to "toughen up" or "grow a pair." Well, I'm tough enough and I certainly don't want to "grow a pair" because that is a sick, dumb phrase anyway. I just want people to be nicer or save their unfriendliness for more appropriate times.
When I grew up my parents, teachers, grandparents, etc told us that if you don't have anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all. Translation to what that meant WHERE I grew up-- You really should try to refrain from talking about people HOWEVER.... if you have something not nice to say about someone (because let's face it, it is necessary) say it when they leave they room, when you know for damn sure they won't hear or see, and when you aren't in "mixed company."
In fact, I enjoy a little "what is she thinking with that outfit" or "isn't that (insert human name)'s ex" banter. The difference is I know damn well when, where, and with who to engage in such conversations. Okay so maybe that is not very nice too and I will work on it. Geez. Lord help me be nicer than nice.
I was also taught THE golden rule. Treat others how you want to be treated. Translation to what that means when you don't WANT to be nice-- kill (insert human name) with kindness. By killing them with kindness everyone gets along when they have to and killing with kindness is pretty fun. If you're killing someone with kindness who also knows "the rules," he or she will get the idea and just stay away.
I am not sure that the south central Kentucky translation of these ever so golden rules reached some parts of the world. If you're one of those less fortunate who didn't get these adaptations, start practicing. In the meantime I'm done getting upset when people are meanies. My new thought will be, "Bless her heart. She doesn't know the rules."
Then I'll ask the good lord to zip your mean ugly lips because in case you missed that memo too, mean is ugly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment